Tuesday, January 31, 2006

In the beginning...

OK, so I'm starting a blog tonight. Why - who knows. I guess everyone else is doing it & I wanted to see what it's about.
I can think of 2 other (good?) reasons. The first is that I'm starting to look for a new job - the one I'm in has been eliminated due to a merger (OmniCare buys NeighborCare - boring SEC filing ) I've known my position was going away for a while (6 months) but have had golden handcuffs on till now, so I've just started looking). The short of it is that the job market seems really weird to me now and it struck me that blogging my experience might be interesting (to whom, I don't know, but just maybe...) And if I can add some tidbits that will help others along they way, then great (I think the search engines hit blogs, right ;-) )
The second is that from time to time I come across bits of arcane knowledge. Stuff that I search and search for on the web and am shocked that I can't find an answer. So then I invest time and find the answer. Seems a shame for it to disappear into the ether, so I figure capturing it in a blog for the bots and spiders to find might help some other poor soul out there. (again, I hope they look at blogs...)
So, whatever, it seems at least that this all created enough inertia to get me started.
Also inspiring was my brother who started blogging his trip to India - I found it interesting at least. Check it out!
So this is the start. We'll see how it goes.

Question: Am i the only one who thinks it's ironic that the spell-checker on this site doesn't know the word "blog."

No comments: